Golspie Golf Club

In Sutherland

About Golspie Golf Club

Golspie has a reputation as one of Scotland’s top golf destinations, with some of the best holes in the Highlands amongst some of the most striking landscapes the country has to offer. And although the club was founded in 1889, the area’s golfing credentials stretch even further back into the history of the sport…

The Sutherland Golfing Society regularly held events in the shadow of Ben Bhraggie, dating back decades before Golspie Golf Club was constituted.  For example, The Field magazine reported in 1878 that 17 competitors battled fierce conditions to compete for a silver medal presented by Dr Gunn of the Indian Army.

Having been formally constituted in 1889, the Club then developed a strong reputation with the 1895 edition of The Golfers’ Guide to the United Kingdom declaring it as ‘..an excellent course of nine holes’.  By 1905 the course was extended to 18 holes and the new course was opened by the Duchess of Sutherland.

The Club continued to make improvements to the course and, in 1925, the famed golf course designer James Braid was invited to visit and make recommended improvements.  The works which arose from his recommendations included adjusting the layout, adding a number of bunkers and relocating some greens were completed in 1926.  The Cup green which once sat in a hollow short of the present-day 13th green was moved to its present position, the Fields green was moved, allowing the tattie pits at the current 15th to influence drives rather than second shots and the par 3 Cairngorms adjusted to a two-tier green set behind its then location.  It is nearly a century since Braid recommended those improvements and the layout of the course has changed very little, a testament to the strength of its design and popularity with golfers.

In December 2012 a major sea storm wrought havoc on the course, flooding many of the lower areas along the coastline and causing serious damage to greens, tees and fairways.  However, the recovery works, allied to some gentle improvements by the Greens Staff, all the while maintaining the spirit of the course, saw the course swift return to its high standards.

The Club is located just south of the village of Golspie, along the road to Littleferry and the clubhouse area has ample parking for members and visitors, and offers an opportunity to play the game over a course that does not suffer from congestion.

Off course facilities include a restaurant that provides a comprehensive menu in a dining venue with superb views over the sea.  There is a well-stocked shop where a variety of merchandise offers a choice of mementoes of a visit to Golspie.

Overview

Designed By

James Briad

Location

Golspie Golf Club
Ferry Road
Golspie
KW10 6ST

Weather

Club House

“Authenticity. Beauty. Challenge.” At Golspie, you get it all.

Get in Touch